Olive and Anchovy Salad
This is a powerful dose of intense flavors and dense nutrition. The mixture of two types of olives and capers is enhanced by the roasted garlic. The combination of omega 3 and omega 6 fats provides a satisfying and healthy side dish. This is convenient and quick to prepare. Open a couple of cans and jars, stir in the rest of the ingredients and viola!
Servings: 4 people
- 1 T Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 oz anchovies in olive oil
- 1.5 oz capers
- 6 oz black olives chopped
- 6 oz green olives chopped
- 7 oz kalamata olives chopped
- 1 stalk green onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic chopped and toasted in butter
- 2 T flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1 t dried basil or fresh chopped
- .5 t fresh ground black pepper
- 1 t grass fed butter
- Chop garlic clove and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Chop green onion and all olives.
- In a large serving bowl, add all ingredients except garlic.
- Melt a pat of butter in a small skillet and add chopped garlic clove. Toast until golden brown and crispy.
- Add toasted garlic to the bowl of other ingredients and mix together.
- Serve as a side with any meat or fish.
Use the entire can of anchovies, including the olive oil. Butter can be salted or unsalted. Sodium content is high and if it is a concern, the olives could be rinsed with cold water to remove the brine prior to combining. The first time I made this, I served on top of deviled eggs (see image).